WASHINGTON, DC– Restaurants from Washington, D.C. dominated the list of winners at the 2020 RAMMY Awards, which recognize exceptional capability and achievements of restaurants and the foodservice community in the D.C. area. The awards are sponsored by the(RAMW).
Broadcast live from the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Sunday night, this is the very first time the awards were performed essentially. Winners in 4 categories– Favorite Gathering Place, Upscale Brunch, Casual Brunch and Favorite Fast Bites– were selected by the public. A confidential panel of judges comprised of food and dining journalists, educators, and foodservice market experts, picked the staying winners, according to a RAMW release.
RAMW's Executive Committee honored two of its members with special awards. RAMW presented the Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year award to Coastal Sunbelt Produce, for its commitment to and support of the organization. It likewise presented the Duke Zeibert Capital Achievement Award to restaurateur Randy Norton of Great American Restaurants, acknowledging his more than 45 years in business.
In a addition, the 2020 Honorary Milestone RAMMY Awards were handed out to Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Co. (30 years – Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia, and, Washington, D.C.), Vace Italian Delicatessen (40 years – Bethesda, Maryland, and, Washington, D.C.), and Mrs. K's Toll House (90 years – Silver Spring, Maryland).
Here are the remaining winners of the 38th Annual RAMMY Awards are:
- Upscale Brunch of the Year: Trummer's (Clifton, Virginia)
- Casual Brunch of the Year: All-Purpose – Shaw
- Preferred Gathering Place of the Year: The Salt Line
- Favorite Fast Bites of the Year: Shouk
- Service Program of the Year: St. Anselm
- Beer Program of the Year: Roofers Union
- Mixed drink Program of the Year: Royal
- Wine Program of the Year: Field & & Main (Marshall, Virginia)
- Casual Restaurant of the Year: CHIKO – Capitol Hill
- Staff member of the Year: Yasmin Orozco, Taco Bamba Taqueria (Springfield, Virginia)
- Manager of the Year: Jamal Flowers, Rocklands Barbeque and Grilling Co. (Alexandria, Virginia)
- Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year: Atlas Brew Works
- Official Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Three Blacksmiths (Sperryville, Virginia)
- New Restaurant of the Year: Cane
- Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Poca Madre
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Paola Velez, Kith/Kin (now Maydan and Compass Rose)
- Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Angel Barreto, Anju
- Restaurateur of the Year: Yama Jewayni, Katsuya Fukushima, Daisuke Utagawa, Daikaya Group
- Chef of the Year: David Deshaies, Unconventional Diner
Also see …